Use your browser's print command to print this lesson
|Halloween||N. a holiday celebrated on October 31 in which people dress in scary costumes|
|to carve||V. to cut with a large knife|
|pumpkin||N. a large, orange vegetable associated with Halloween|
||N. Americans traditionally cut out scary faces in pumpkins and put a candle inside. These pumpkins with faces are called "Jack-o-lanterns." Jack-o-lanterns are made to scare away evil spirits on Halloween.|
|costume||N. scary clothing or disguises worn on Halloween|
|"trick or treat"
||On Halloween, children go from house to house and say "trick or treat." This phrase means give me candy or I will play a trick on you. Families usually give the children candy. If the children don't get candy, they sometimes play mean tricks like breaking the house's Jack-o-lantern or putting soap on its windows.|
|a costume party||N. a party where everyone dresses in scary costumes|
|bobbing for apples||This is a traditional Halloween game. You put apples in a barrel of water and people try to take the floating apples out of the water using only their mouths.|
|a skeleton||N. a body of nothing but bones|
|a ghost||N. the spirit of a dead person which appears again|
|a ghoul||N. an evil spirit which takes bodies from graves and eats them|
|a goblin||N. an unkind spirit which plays tricks on people|
|a witch||N. a woman with magic powers (usually evil)|
|a warlock||N. a man with magic powers (usually evil)|
Vocabulary in Writing
Use the above vocabulary to fill in the blanks in the following poem. Your answers can be checked by clicking at the bottom of the page.
Choose your ______________________ and carve it right,
For tonight is the night of fright.
A most dangerous eve is ______________________ ,
Disguise yourself from dangers unseen.
The witches and ______________________ prepare their brews,
Deadly mixtures and magic stews.
Those without ______________________ should run and hide,
Or, better yet, stay inside,
For the darkest night is the night of fools,
Souls unprepared for bone-eating ______________________,
Ghosts and ______________________ who seek to annoy
Or, perhaps, even destroy.
Hear the sounds of laughter and little feet,
As they threaten you with "______________________."
Give them candy, they will go away.
Lock your doors and pray
That the ______________________ candle stays lit,
And the devilish children quit.
A. E. Martin
|cackling||to make an evil, witch-like laughing sound|
|evil||very bad in thought and behavior|
|gruesome||terribly shocking and sickening (often describes an act or event)|
|haunted||containing evil spirits or ghosts (usually describes a building or location)|
|hideous||describes something which is so sickening and ugly that you can't look at it|
|horrified||very shocked and scared|
|howling||making a long, loud cry like a wolf or a dog|
|possessed||controlled by an evil spirit or ghost (usually describes a person)|
|shrieking||sounding like a high-pitched, terrified screaming|
|wicked||very bad or evil (often associated with witches)|
Vocabulary in Writing
Use the above vocabulary to fill in the blanks in the following sentences. Your answers can be checked by clicking at the bottom of the page.
1. There are two kinds of witches according to legend: good witches who help and protect people, and ______________________ witches who use their magic to hurt people.
2. Every Halloween, the children tell stories about the ______________________ house on the hill. They say that the ghost of an old man wanders the hallways looking for the spirit of his long lost wife.
3. The people of the little town said that they could hear ______________________ sounds coming from the forest. Some said it sounded like the cries of an old woman calling for help.
4. At night, the villagers could hear the ______________________ werewolves just outside the village wall. They locked their doors and shutters and prayed that the creatures would not find a way into their homes.
5. "Halloween" is a classic horror movie with plenty of ______________________ murders. We rent the video every year on October 31.
6. Centuries ago, they thought that people could be controlled by evil spirits. These "______________________" people were often burned at the stake.
7. He was not a good person. He was an ______________________ person, and everyone knew that he was dangerous.
8. The monster's ______________________ face was green and covered with warts.
9. The ______________________ witch stirred her brew with delight. She laughed because it was Halloween, and evil was in the air.
10. The woman shrieked because she was ______________________ at the
sight of the skeleton lying in her bed.