Modal Verb Tutorial
> Modal Verbs Exercise 1
Have Got to
Modal Verbs Exercise 1
Complete the sentences using the words listed in the box below, then click the "Check" button to check your answers. Don't forget to capitalize when necessary. Some gaps may have more than one correct answer.
can could have to must might should
1. Ted's flight from Amsterdam took more than 11 hours. He
be exhausted after such a long flight. He
prefer to stay in tonight and get some rest.
2. If you want to get a better feeling for how the city is laid out, you
walk downtown and explore the waterfront.
3. Hiking the trail to the peak
be dangerous if you are not well prepared for dramatic weather changes. You
research the route a little more before you attempt the ascent.
4. When you have a small child in the house, you
leave small objects lying around. Such objects
be swallowed, causing serious injury or even death.
you hold your breath for more than a minute?
Nathan: No, I can't.
6. Jenny's engagement ring is enormous! It
have cost a fortune.
7. Please make sure to water my plants while I am gone. If they don't get enough water, they
speak Arabic fluently when I was a child and we lived in Egypt. But after we moved back to Canada, I had very little exposure to the language and forgot almost everything I knew as a child. Now, I
just say a few things in the language.
9. The book is optional. My professor said we
read it if we needed extra credit. But we
read it if we don't want to.
10. Leo: Where is the spatula? It
be in this drawer but it's not here.
Nancy: I just did a load of dishes last night and they're still in the dish washer. It
be in there. That's the only other place it
take your umbrella along with you today. The weatherman on the news said there's a storm north of here and it
rain later on this afternoon.
we pull over at the next rest stop? I really
use the bathroom and I don't know if I
hold it until we get to Chicago.
13. Oh no! Frank's wallet is lying on the coffee table. He
have left it here last night.
I borrow your lighter for a minute?
Stephen: Sure, no problem. Actually, you
keep it if you want to. I've given up smoking.
believe she said that to Megan! She
insult her cooking in front of everyone at the party last night. She
have just said she was full or had some salad if she didn't like the meal.
16. Do you
chew with your mouth open like that? Geez, it's making me sick watching you eat that piece of pizza.
17. Mrs. Scarlett's body was found in the lounge just moments ago, and it's still warm! Nobody has left the mansion this evening, so the killer
be someone in this room. It
be any one of us!!!
18. Ted: I don't know why Denise starting crying when I mentioned the wedding.
have been what you said about her brother. Or, perhaps she is just nervous. After all, the big day is tomorrow.
you always say the first thing that pops into your head?
you think once in awhile before you speak?
20. I was reading the book last night before I went to bed. I never took it out of this room. It
be lying around here somewhere. Where
it be? be swallowed, causing serious injury or even death.
Modal Verb Tutorial
Copyright © 1997 -
Englishpage.com, All Rights Reserved.
Advertise with us
Learn English at Englishpage.com!
Phrasal Verb Dictionary
Verb + Preposition Dictionary